Portland are the UK’s recognised experts on all things fuel. Set up in 2009 by James Spencer, Portland began as a specialised hedging provider, offering budgetary certainty to companies with an exposure to movements in the price of fuel.
Ten years on, Portland now cover a wide range of fuel-related services, including unique fixed price fuel cards, expert advisory and pricing services, physical fuel deliveries, compulsory stock ticket trading and a dedicated renewable fuels desk.
The team has grown over the years but is still made up of professionals who have bought, sold, transported and stored fuel for most – or all – of their careers. Our aim is to make sense of oil and energy markets and we continually strive to create stability from volatility, for the benefit of our customers.
Portland – making complicated things simple for over ten years.
- Portland sets-up tin-pot offices above a van hire shop in central York.
- Advisory and (oil) stock ticket trading is added to original fuel price protection offer.
- Graduate Trainee discovers washing-up liquid and actually does the washing up.
- Portland delivers its first load of diesel to municipal bus company.
- Sales activity in Canada and USA (portland-fuel.ca) begins.
- German office set-up in Gladbeck, Essen (portland-fuel.de).
- Fixed-Price fuelcard launched.
- Move to swanky new offices on Toft Green, York. Board Room has “show-fridge” containing both fizzy pop and beer.
- Portland Fuel Pricing Service adopted by Freight Transport Association.
- First import of Prilled Urea for manufacture of AdBlue (diesel emission reducing agent)
- Portland becomes majority shareholder of Noxdown Ltd (www.noxdownuk.com)